S&S Hammers

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:23:31 EST

In a message dated 1/19/2000 10:06:47 AM, Mike J. wrote:

<<"It would be nice if those who've mastered genuine steinway hammers would
share and quantify exact methods and results.  This may be a dumb or
impossible request as every piano is different">>
(performance venue oriented)

 Michael;
 This ain't a "dumb" request though it may well be a nigh on to
an "impossible" one :-)

 With all the different hammer shape configuration favorites, not to mention
voicing techniques ranging from needles to pliers, to ironing, to steaming,
and disregarding the veritable flood of chemicals used to voice, i.e. plastic
solution, laquer, sealer, shellac, etc. I know I am stay confused :-)
  While each practitioner of the various methods swears by 'their' shape,
voicing, hardening and each, in general, produce some acceptable
sounds.........I ain't gonna say which is the best way or even the 'accepted'
way cause it varies soooo much from piananner to piananner.
  Other than the generally accepted varying "pear shape", S&S hammer work
seems to solidify around the principle of 'if it works just do it'.
The same may be said of other hammers as well of course :-)

 Good luck and I would also like to see a definitive 'generic' performance
approach.
Jim Bryant (FL)