S&S Hammers

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:59:30 -0400

Hello,
      It would be nice if those who've mastered genuine steinway hammers would
share and quantify exact methods and results.  This may be a dumb or
impossible request as every piano is different, hammer sets vary, string
heights vary, etc., but I still believe that it could be useful and
informative.
      An example could be for note 60.  How much felt did you leave above the
molding?  Did you determine it by measuring carefully to achieve a right
angled strike?  Or did you just file it down for soundwithout regard to
centering?  What is the final weight of the hammer assembly?   How wide is the
hammer at various points down from the top?  (i.e quantify the diamond
shape).  What drops of what were applied and exactly where?
     I am not interested in measurements from mellow recording studio pianos,
but  powerful concerto pianos.
-Mike Jorgensen