steinway

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 22:17:09 -0800

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:18:48 -0800 "David ilvedson" <ilvey@jps.net>
writes:
> List,
>
> I am rebuilding a Steinway M and wanted some advice.  I don't
> do a lot of this, maybe one a year.
>
> #1...Damper felt:  Where would you recommend I get it?  I
> typically use Laureaux & buy the Steinway style, precut stuff
> from Schaff.

I Prefer to use Renner as they have a variety of bichord styles.  Any
good felt will work if the system is properly installed and the felts are
fit to the strings.   I am  doing a class at the Cal state on damper
geometry and correcting damper system problems.  That particular piano
has some very correctable problems.  See you there?

> #2...Tuning Pins:  I am considering the Diamond pins from
> Pianotek.  Blued is correct?  I don't think I want the nickel
> plated?

Good pins.  Are you replacing the block?   If so,  the extra quality you
will be paying for (consistency of diameter)  will help the final feel.
If repinning the old block,  the consistency of feel will be erratic so
the pins won't matter as much.   ( Not as consistent size as Diamond
brand).   I have no problem with Denro pins except that the bluing is
only on the head. Maybe someone more informed than I can tell us if that
makes much of a difference.  . Nickel oxide,  forms over time,  is a
pretty good lubricant.  I haven't used nickel plated pins forever.  I
don't even broach the subject with clients.  What they don't know won't
confuse them.

> #3...Hammers:  Should I go for Steinways?  It Steinway or
> Isaac.

You haven't said what vintage this piano is.  New S&S hammers may be too
heavy for the piano you are working on.  Same goes for new action parts
(geometry wise that is).  You need what fits the piano.  Pick from all
the parts available and get the right ones for the particular piano.
Isaac makes a good hammer, generally speaking.  Isaac's will usually be
lighter and normally a better match for older p[ianos that used lighter
hammers and have geometry that needs the lighter hammers.  A gram scale
is a good tool for comparing weights.

I am now prepared for flames from those who think that only S&S parts
should go on S&S pianos.  Aim carefully.  I'm a red head and burn easily.

Dale Fox

> David I.
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA