steinway

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 20:48:56 -0800

David ilvedson wrote:

> List,
>
> I am rebuilding a Steinway M and wanted some advice.  I don't
> do a lot of this, maybe one a year.
>
> #1...Damper felt:  Where would you recommend I get it?  I
> typically use Laureaux & buy the Steinway style, precut stuff
> from Schaff.

That is fine.  The Renner material is also excellent.

> #2...Tuning Pins:  I am considering the Diamond pins from
> Pianotek.  Blued is correct?  I don't think I want the nickel
> plated?

I typically use the Japanese pins from Schaff.  They are
excellent quality and after stringing dozens of pianos I have
never regretted it.  I'm sure the Pianotek pins are excellent too
but why spend twice as much?  More doesn't ALWAYS mean better.
Just my opinion.  Blue or nickel?  Up to you, either is correct.
I prefer nickel only because it looks pretty all strung up and it
is the "in" thing to do.  It can be a good marketing point when
you sell it.

> #3...Hammers:  Should I go for Steinways?  It Steinway or
> Isaac.

I highly recommend Abel hammers over anything else out there.
They are very easy to voice and they sound beautiful.  Their
weight and density are perfect and they are a joy to work with.
The Renner are also excellent but I find them to be wee bit too
heavy.  At risk of political incorrectness and offense to the
Steinway purists and any silent S&S folks who might be monitoring
the list...  I'll just say that that in my opinion S&S hammers
bite.  Nuf' said.  (Putting on flame suit).

MHO, good luck!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV