tuning video?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:10:05 EST

In a message dated 1/14/00 5:58:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pianolover@worldspy.net writes:

<< Can anyone recommend any good videos (and where to find them) on the art
of Piano tuning/servicing?  >>

I'm only sorry I couldn't answer this sooner.  The best way to learn is to
get your information from as many different sources as possible.  View all of
the tuning videos you can get your hands on, read all the books, go to as
many seminars as you can possible get to and try to get to the Annual
Convention.

The first one I attended was in Minneapolis in 1979.  There, Jim Coleman, Sr.
RPT taught a class along with the late George Defebaugh RPT.  Both of these
individuals later earned PTG's highest honorable award, The Golden Hammer.
The lecture they gave together on Tuning changed my life forever and this was
in spite of the fact that much of it was over my head.  But I kept coming
back until I understood it all.

I have never seen the video that they made together but I think Jim Coleman
is still selling them.  He is a regular contributor to this List. I am sure
that this video will contain information that confirms what you already know,
will teach you things right away that you didn't know, and may challenge you
with things you cannot readily grasp.  If you have a tuning question, his
answer and opinion always contain important information you can count on.

There are several other very highly skilled and qualified tuners who
regularly participate on the List.  Beyond that, there are many other
technicians who have amazingly erudite expertise in just about any area you
might think of.  Just stick with Pianotech and you will learn a lot.  I have
only been with it for a couple of years but I have learned a great deal
myself, believe me, I have.

On the other question you had, as you have already been told, yes, it is
possible to do a muteless pitch raise.  There is a member of my Chapter, Mr.
Daniel P. Eberhardy RPT who does it all the time when doing a large pitch
raise.  Frankly, I don't want to hear such dissonance and have never even
attempted it.  But it is a sound idea and if you can actually learn to hear
the pitch you need and want to hear through all of the conflicting sounds, it
will be much to you credit to do so.  You will truly amaze people.

Good luck with it all,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin