Counter bearing treatment

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:51:34 -0500

Hi Richard,

You wrote:
> On the side... why do scaling programs not take into consideration the
string
> length from the tuning pin to the forward termination, but do take into
account
> the length behind the bridge ??

I would venture to say that the length of wire behind the bridge is more
critical because the bridge is not stationary, but rather needs to move.  If
the wire length is too short, it will indeed 'clamp' the movement of the
bridge.  (That would be bad).

Conversely, the capo bar or agraffes are not intended to have any movement
at all, and are designed to be quite rigid.    With that in mind, the length
from the forward termination to tuning pin is not nearly so critical.  If it
is intended to speak, intended lengths need to be designed into the plate.
(It can be re-engineered if one desires, but like Del has said
previously,... a well designed soundboard does not require the assistance of
a duplex for tonal support <I'm paraphrasing>.)

I've enjoyed reading about the thoughts and concepts of termination design
variations.  I find it mentally stimulating.  Perhaps at some point, I'll be
able to lay hands on those Journal articles as well. :-)

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net