First Nightmare Tuning

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:38:14 -0800

Tom Robinson wrote:

> Last week I was contacted to tune a Courier spinet for a local
> supermarket chain owner.  Surprisingly, it was only 120 cents low, and
> covered with decorative items :-).  Thinking this tuning might give a
> boost to my fledgling career, I took extra care in readying the piano.
> Everything progressed well until my back grew tired and I sat on the
> bench.  To my horror, my pants stuck to the bench!  After extracating
> myself I discovered the finish had turned soft.  All turned out well in
> the end (:-)) as they were very happy with the tuning and were in fact
> embarrassed by what happened.  I think I shall inspect benches very
> carefully from now on.

This is caused by excessive use of silicon based furniture polish, (i.e.
pledge).  These types of furniture polishes are the WORST for use on
anything because they dissolve the hardeners in the lacquer.  They sell
because people are stupid enough to buy it.  Don't use it, don't use it,
don't use it...  (did I say that you shouldn't use it?)

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV