A question on temperament

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:36:01 EST

In a message dated 1/11/00 5:10:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, richardb@c2i.net
(Richard Brekne) writes:

<< I gotta kinda figure that ET's days of near total dominance in the western
world
 of music are numbered, and would advise all tuners to take a second, and
third
 look at alternatives.. not only because of how they sound.. but because one
can
 obviously learn a good deal about all tuning efforts in the process.

I almost missed this valuable post of yours with an astute observation,
Richard.  Many of us who tune the other temperaments have observed that in
far too many cases, ET exists only in the mind anyway.  In Dr. William Braide
White's day, it was the modern, scientific way to tune.  The idea, in
principal, prevailed.  Many cannot fathom anything but 12 equally spaced
intervals.  But the difference between what is believed in so faithfully and
unwaveringly, and the reality of what really is being done is what truly
boggles the mind.

Time marches on and ideas that seemed so right and unquestionable 100 years
ago can easily collapse in a short period of time.  When people catch on to
what they are missing, ET will represent only a minimum professional
standard.  There will be countless ways to offer something different with
some other kind of appeal than just the usual.  The more people that know how
to do something else, the more of a demand and market will be created for it.

I'm glad to see that you are one of the people with an early interest.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin