Counter bearing treatment

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:39:19 -0600

 Jon, List
	I am not sure if the geometries of where the tuning pins have to be in a
grand piano are because of the need for counter bearing, or the cause of
it.  It might be that to have a grand action that up strikes strings means
the strings must be within  x amount in height from the action.  The
action can only be (or strike) so high vertically from the keys.  Thus to
fit a pinblock full of pins right above the action, the pin block might
have to occupy a higher level than the strings.  Or is it because agraffes
are used?  (I should look on the Ivers and Pond hulk I have).  If the pins
must be higher than the strings then you have problems of necessarey plate
structure to accomodate this.
	I have often wondered why in grands the pins are highter than the strings
or why they could not be the same level as in uprights.   Perhaps my guess
above is close to the answer.   I used to spend hours on the telephone
with questions like these. I  heard talk about the "ski slope", but have
forgotten.  ---rici wonder