Doping/Softener

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:12:01 -0600

Hi Johannes,
                   A few comments that may help

>Does Laquer have a different sound than melted keytops?  Which is the best
>choice?

Yes, the keytop solution tends to be more percussive and less responsive to
neddles.
Both takes week,s to fully cure, so proceed cautiously, several light
applications, and analysing the results the day after each application, is
the ideal way to fly.

>How can I keep my applicators from getting clogged, or is my juice too
strong?

I use a camel haired brush to apply dope, finding it more controlled that
alternative methods of application.

>What would happen if I used water to soften a brittle hammer instead of
>needles?  Or, is there a good hammer softener solution that is better for
>hammers instead of needles?

You need to use about 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water, it works, but
deforms the shape of the shoulders. Apply to shoulders with a camel haired
brush, and avoid the stike point.

Steam voicing these hard hammers is safer and more controlled, see artical
PTJ May88.

Regards Roger
>Thanks,

Roger Jolly