Tuning in where it is

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:09:05 +0100

Frank Cahill wrote:

> Richard, when I said one pass, I was referring to the pitch raise only. After one
> pass for a 10-15 cent pitch raise, then I fine tune the entire piano.  No way I'd
> try to do the whole thing (pitch raise and tune) in one pass!

Grin... I kinda figured as much... but didnt want to assume anything. I know guys who
take as much as a 100 cent raise in one pass. Overshooting can be an art in itself
dont you know. They are better at that bit then I am I have to admit. They leave the
piano in suprisingly ok condition inside of 45 minutes. Sure you can easily pick
apart such "tunings", but then they are back to fine tune the piano after two or
three days. This one guy I know will charge half price for a quickie pitch raise
tuning, then charge full price for the fine tuning a few days later. He likes it
cause he gets a bit of extra (not counted on) work and also gets through his days
quicker when he runs into such jobs. Not a bad idea really.. tho I personnally have a
bit different take on the issue. To each his own really.. as long as you do good work
in the end, and treat your customers well the piano gods will smile on your tuning
hammer.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway