Stocking The Tool Box

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:56:17 -0500

I lived and worked in New York City for sixteen years.

Initially I carried a tool case that weighed 30 pounds, which was fine
for a young pup not working the field full time.

When I stopped teaching Piano Technology full time and went into piano
servicing full time I reduced my tool case to the size of a clarinet
case and packed it (chinese puzzle style) with fifteen pounds of tools
and supplies.  I used public transit, busses and subways, and HAD to
limit my mass.  In ELEVEN years of field work I had to return to a
customer's home twice to finish a repair because I did not have what I
needed in my case.

Steve Fairchild once wrote that I was the only person he knew that
could get all the parts of a Steinway B in a clarinet case.

I did not do case work, major shop work, restringing or rebuilding.  I
referred that work to someone that could do it faster or better than I
could.

I did tunings, minor repairs, regulation and voicing out of that case.

I took actions home to rehammer, rebush or other shop type work, on a
folding table in the living room.  I carried lyres, legs, benches,
music desks, etc. home for repair then return.  I also sold pianos out
of my living room.

At that time all my piano stuff, excluding Journals, weighed about 60
pounds.  Now it weighs about 4000 pounds.

I do not replace boards, bridges (except bass), refinish or retouch,
but I can and do everything else including blocks.

Now I carry about 12 pounds of tools, SAT and minor parts in a soft
sided camera bag.  My practice at Rutgers University was to carry the
minimum and fetch from the shop what I needed to do a repair.
Excellent exercise but not over stressing body and shoulders.  Worked
well and has worked well since.

About every six months clean EVERYTHING out and if you have not used
it in six months leave it in the shop.  How much is a smaller vehicle,
gas, mileage and potential loss to you?  Carry what you will need for
90% of the work you do and leave the rest at home.  Return when you
must and charge accordingly.

I like small multi-purpose tools and carry only what I think I will
need and will add other stuff after questioning a new customer or one
with a problem than take it out when I get back home.

I am a pack rat but learned early that I just cannot carry everything
in my hand so it accumulates in the shop, on shelves, in boxes, in
drawers, on the bench top, on the floor and generally gets in my way.
PACK RATS UNITE (if we can see each other over the junk!)!

		Newton