Pitch raise ala SATll or lll

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 19:56:20 -0800

Joe:
    Your method is the same as mine in the bass.   I usually don't raise
the pitch of the first plain strings as much as the machine may tell
me.  If the piano is very very flat, I usually don't reset the machine
more than about 3.5 cents at a time.  I gradually add the extra cents
every few strings.   If I raise the pitch using the machine's measured
flatness and divide by three, adding this every half dozen strings (as
the manual advises) I usually end up too sharp.  Adding the extra cents
gradually seems to work best for me.
    I like to keep the center section as straight as I can, using only
very slight corrections, no more than a cent or two in this area.  I try
to make the corrections early, before I get to the middle of the
section, and I don't do any more than 2 or 3.  Even if the pitch seems
to be falling as I go along, I try to resist making any more
corrections.  The result is that I don't have to go back as often to
lower the pitch in this middle area.  After the second break, I add as
many cents as the machine says to add every half dozen notes as
advised.  The extra tension in this area seems to cause the pitch to
fall more rapidly, and I get better results going by the book.
    FWIW,
    Paul McCloud, RPT
    San Diego