Archives trouble? and plate screws

Richard Anderson tknostf@foxvalley.net
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:04:04 -0600

Thanks for the reply Ron,

Only argument against replacing perimeter bolts than I consider is that some
rims (non-maple) aren't hard enough to handle machine screw threads and need
the coarser wood threads. Of course soft rims soak up thin CA nicely and I
have tapped soft rims and "hardened" the threads with CA successfully. Also,
rim screws aren't subject to high axial, or lateral forces (once installed)
so softer-than-maple rims aren't really a problem as long as I can limit my
torque input (which is a hard habit to get into).

Richard Anderson