plate screws,...Ron N.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 08:31:26 -0600

>I know what a lock nut and an acorn nut are.  But I'm not sure what a 3/8"NC
>x 4" socket head screw is???

It's a 3/8" diameter, 16 threads per inch, 4" long set screw. There's no
head, it's threaded full length, with an Allen socket in one end.

>Is it a sort of home brew of the system Baldwin uses?
>
>Brian Trout
>Quarryville, PA
>btrout@desupernet.net

Exactly. A lock nut ( with the nylon thread insert, so it stays in place)
is run on to the screw, and positioned near the end of the socket, allowing
for plate thickness with enough extra thread for the acorn nut. Run the
screws into the perimeter lag holes (they were previously plugged and
drilled to fit). Drop in the plate, and it will rest on these lock nuts
with the screw end sticking up above the plate surface. The Allen socket in
the top of each screw lets you set each screw to the height you want
without having to pull the plate again. When you have the plate height
where you want it, put the washers and acorn nuts on top and tighten them.
Adjust your nose bolts, and you're there. If you find, after stringing,
that you miscalculated a bit and wish you had a little more or less
downbearing, adjustments can be made (cautiously, and sparingly) at full
string tension.

!
Ron N