Archives trouble? and plate screws

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 22:23:11 -0600

 I know some rebuilders
>who always install new machine screws into a new (Delignit or Falconwood)
>block. And many use new machine bolts when rehanging plates. Does anyone
>replace all plate (or case for that matter) fasteners as a matter of course
>on every piano? There is plenty to argue on both sides of this issue, and
>I'm never shy about arguing, so what do you say?
>
>Richard Anderson

Don't know what the deal is with the archives, but as far as plate screws go...
I like to replace the screws that go into the block with new wood (not
machine) screws, though it's not strictly necessary. There really isn't a
big demand on these screws if the pinblock flange fit is good. I do like to
replace the perimeter lags with 3/8"NC x 4" socket head screws, with a lock
nut under the plate, and an acorn nut above. It's not that the original
screws aren't adequate, but with the replacement, I can dispense with
dowels, liners, etc. and adjust the plate height from above the plate
without having to pull it twenty times. Adjustments can even be done under
full string tension if necessary, though we accomplished practitioners of
the art shouldn't find such things necessary, should we?  ;^)

Just out of curiosity, what's the argument against replacing perimeter bolts?

Ron N