Archives trouble? and plate screws

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:57:08 -0500

Hi Richard,

I went to the archives just now, and didn't have any trouble with them at
all.  Maybe it was a temporary server problem of some kind.  They seem to be
working fine now.

As for hardware,  I usually try to use the original hardware if I can.
Sometimes there will be modifications that will necessitate changing of some
of the hardware.  But most of the time, it seems like it's easier to get the
old stuff looking good than the new stuff.  If it's a matter of something
broken or badly damaged, well, we do what we have to do to find something
that'll work.  If it's brass, some polish and a wheel do wonders.  If it's
plated, I've been using Whitman Company in MA.  to replate.  So far, I've
never been disappointed with their work.  I had tried replacing the pinblock
screws on a couple of jobs, but the new ones I got from a major supply house
looked worse than the old ones.  It really is getting harder to find good
hardware out there.

If anyone has a supplier of top quality hardware, please do speak up!

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net