Tuning in where it is

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 10:27:12 -0800

John,

You are new to the List and this has been hashed out
numerous times before.  You can check the archives if you
like.  I believe the majority of us do tune to A440 on a regular
basis.  For one thing it is profitable.  For another, a piano up
to the correct tension will sound far better than one below
pitch.  But I don't catagorically bring a piano up to pitch.  On
the rare occasion I come across a beast with string repairs
already and a 1/2 step below pitch, I may and I might not bring
it up depending on my inclination.  How has the day been
going?  Is it late and am I tired?  Replacing strings is not one
of my favorite things to do when I'm tired.  I charge a flat fee of
$20.00 for the extra 20 minutes it takes to rough tune one
pass.  I rarely have anyone complain.  I think the selling of the
pitch raise has to be a natural part of the initial talk on the
phone.  No hesitation once the particulars have been relayed
to the technician.  If it has been a few years, I let them know
to expect the extra charge.  I think a newer tuner might be
hesitant to lose an account but it is short sighted and you will
always lose some potential customers who are shopping
around.  There is always someone less expensive that you.
Get over it and be the professional.

David Ilvedson, RPT