$1 per cent, was Re: Tuning it where it is

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:27:46 EST

In a message dated 1/10/00 2:28:09 AM !!!First Boot!!!, RptBob1@AOL.COM
writes:

<< I have been using the dollar a cent for pitch raises for years now.  It is
 very concise way to explain to the customer what the raise is going to
entail
 in so far as time is concerned.  I've never had anyone balk at the extra
 charge. I do sometimes lower the final expected fee if the pitch raise went
 particularly well because the piano was in really good condition. Quoting
the
 dollar-per-cent fee and then actually charging less is also good customer
 relations. When's the last time your friendly plumber did that for you?  And
 if he did, didn't you appreciate the gesture?

 Bob Bergantino, RPT
 Willoughby Hills, Ohio >>

The problem I have with charging a dollar per cent, is at what pitch do you
measure the piano to determine how much extra to charge. During the normal
seasonal change, A 4 might be 5 cents flat, but A3, (if is above the break)
might be 15 cents flat. In the summer, I have found some strings just above
the break as much as 10 cents sharp. Do you charge extra to bring those down?
 What is you "basic" rate, and how flat (or sharp), does it have to be before
you charge extra?

When your charge is going to increase, do you increase the $1 per cent, or
have you been charging a $1 per cent ever since you started tuning?

Wim