Archives trouble? and plate screws

Richard Anderson tknostf@foxvalley.net
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 20:30:17 -0600

Has anybody had trouble accessing the archives lately? I wanted to search
for a subject but my browser keeps crashing when I get to the site. As long
as I'm here I'll ask about what I was looking for. After spending most of a
day repairing and replating a set of plate and pinblock screws only to have
one break on installation (last one in of course), I'm rethinking my policy
of reusing original plate screws on every rebuild. I know some rebuilders
who always install new machine screws into a new (Delignit or Falconwood)
block. And many use new machine bolts when rehanging plates. Does anyone
replace all plate (or case for that matter) fasteners as a matter of course
on every piano? There is plenty to argue on both sides of this issue, and
I'm never shy about arguing, so what do you say?

Richard Anderson