Tuning it where it is

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 10:10:24 -0500

Welcome to the next step in your development, grasshopper.

One does not need to be the super-hero vanquishing demons
at every turn. One can be vigilant without being a vigilante.
"My way or no way" does not impress customers, for even
the river follows the path of least resistance.

Even a doctor realizes that sometimes kind words and a
hand on the shoulder are all the medicine some people need.

Pitch is relative. Evidently no other instruments were played
as accompaniment since Aunt Sophie (if then even), so to
impose an irrelevant 'standard' upon them is unnecessary.

Who knows, maybe the case will last longer with he reduced tension.
Surely the tuning is more stable with no tension change.
They are set for the next decade or two now.

To recoin a phrase: Know when to say when.

Jon Page

At 07:47 AM 01/09/2000 +0500, you wrote:
>Personally, I have had a problem with this for awhile..You know the pianos -
>rust-infested, hasn't been tuned since Aunt Sophie was a child..those pianos.
>

>I have always thought that if someone calls me to do work on their piano,
then
>I should give that piano the best it can get .. starting with tuning it to
A=440.

>I don't feel that way anymore.
>
>I have tuned 3 in the last 2 weeks right where they were because of rust. I
>went through a detailed explaination with these customers as to why I was not
>tuning it to SRP, and they all agreed and were happy for the explaination.
>

>In the past I would have pulled these lesser pedigrie pianos up to pitch, and
>I may have broken a wire, and I may not have..not necessarily trying to be a
>hero, but wanting to do the right thing for this piano and this
customer..what
>I am finding out, as I swallow my pride just a bit, is that these customers
>are very grateful for the 3-minute explaination and show and tell..they know
>an awful lot more about their piano(?) and I get the feeling that because I
>took the time to explain why I was not going to bring a piano up to pitch,
that
>they would still refer me because I took the time to explain.
>
>Funny how that works, isn't it?
>
>Rook

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.