new to list..first tuning!

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:22:31 -0500

Hello Terry,

Nice to see you amongst us. :-)

Well, I'd like to say you've already done some stuff right!!

First of all, you've been working with another technician to learn.  I think
that's probably the best way to learn, by working with someone who knows his
trade.

Second of all, you've made contact with a good trade organization.   I don't
know much about other trade organizations, but this one has many fine people
who share generously with each other.  And many encourage each other to not
only be better technicians, but some also share parts of their personal
lives, their friendship, a few laughs, a helping hand to those in need, and
a lot of other stuff too numerous to mention.  There might be the occasional
squabble, but you'll have that anywhere you go.

I don't know what your aspirations are with the trade.  Everyone sort of has
to find his nitch somewhere.  For some, tuning is what they like best and
that's most of what they do.  For some, rebuilding is the work they enjoy,
and they may rarely if ever tune.  Many are somewhere in between.

Like I said, you've made a good start associating with a technician who's
skilled in his trade.  Another thing you might consider is spending a year
or two with a piano dealer.  If the piano dealer is of any considerable
size, you'll likely get anything and everything thrown at you, which is an
excellent learning experience.  You could consider a piano trade school or
perhaps Randy Potter's course.  I won't discredit either.  But if you can't
do either of those, don't think that it's a requirement to be a good
technician.  Read.  You have access to the list, and the archives.  Make use
of them.  I don't know if you are considering joining the Piano Technicians
Guild, but if you're really serious about the piano business, I hope you'll
consider it.  With membership comes an association with many other good
techs, a subscription to the Piano Technician's Journal, discounts on
convention fees, and a few other perks as well.  Read books as you can get
your hands on them.  If you can get your hands a copy of "Piano Servicing,
Tuning, & Rebuilding", by Arthur A Reblitz (second edition), I think you'll
find it to be a good companion, and worth the investment.  There are no
doubt a number of other good books as well.

Keep on going.  When you need help on something, ask.  You'll learn a lot by
doing.  I could tell you how to ride a bicycle.  I could show you how to
ride a bicycle.  Someone else could tell you how to ride a bicycle.  They
could show you how to ride a bicycle.  But until you get on the bicycle and
ride it for yourself, you'll never learn to do it.

I think you're fine to start out with an electronic tuner.  It gives you a
chance to see how you're doing with your tuning hammer technique, and to
develop your method of tuning pin manipulation.  Once you're a little more
comfortable with that, you'll likely progress to more work on your ear
training, learning to set a temperament, and stretch the octaves so they
sound good.  And as you go, you'll progress into more and more repairs, as
they're needed.

Anyway, welcome to the family.  And let us know how you're doing from time
to time.  We were all in your shoes at one time, and we can take a little
trip down memory lane.  :-)

Good luck,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA