new to list..first tuning!

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 12:21:03 -0400

>hI all!,
>
>Just discovered this great forum, and I'm happy to announce my very FIRST
>piano tuning...actually a pitch-raise today at El Camino College! I am
>very fortunate to be learning the art of tuning/regulation etc., from a
>real pro; Mark Hullabager, R.P.T. He got me started on a brand new student
>piano, a Kawaii 52"...don't recall the model, but it is NOT a typical
>school model, as it does not have keylocks. Anyway, I  began slowly,
>uninsons using the Sandeson accutune. This device is really amazing to me.
>Aget going through the first time, doing a pitch raise (it was a few cents
>flat, but not to far off pitch), then he checked my work and said I did
>fine, although I must master the tuning hammer....that's an
>understatement. As I expected, the shorter the strings, the harder it
>becomes to hear beats, even with the accuand tune is harder to read from
>about C-6 up. But what a fantastic experience! I can't wait to continue my
>training. Mark was kind enough to Make me a loan of some too!
>ls, so I can practice at home on my own piano...I hope that goes well as I
>will be without a fork OR accutune! If anyone out there has any tips /
>advice for a newcomer like me, I'd appreciate it!
>
>Cheers!
>
>Terry Peterson
>(Tuner/tech in training)
>Torrance, CA

>Get free Internet service and email at http://www.worldspy.com

hey terry,

congrats on your first.  i remember my first piano tuning.  it took two
hours and i bet it was no master tuning.  i learned by ear but when i teach
students now i start them on an etd.  get a good feel for moving the pins
and strings and worry about temperament later.  in the mean time you are
able to leave a decent sounding piano tuning even as a beginner.

if you want to get a lot of good practice, make a deal with a local piano
dealer to do floor tunings for them.  you don't make much but your getting
paid to practice and the end result does not have to be concert hall stuff.

good luck,
chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429