Crack in Rim/ cracked Spinet

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 07 Jan 2000 23:21:27 -0500

I have reinforced cases with this problem with long screws drilled from
underneath. Hardware/home centers should have the screws for fastening
landscaping ties. They are a 3/16" shaft with a hex head. McFeely's also
carries them with square drive.

I drill the counter sink and shank holes. Then force glue in the crack, pipe
clamps
on the rim act as a prybar to open the crack. Then install screws, clamps
optional.

Then you just have the finish touchup to deal with.

Jon Page

At 06:06 PM 01/07/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Ok, so what are the techniques for checking said crack?  I
>would use a thin probe but that doesn't often tell much.
>Anyone have some ideas?
>
>David I.
>
>From:                  Mjacobucci@cs.com
>Date sent:             Fri, 7 Jan 2000 05:42:57 EST
>Subject:               Crack in Rim/ cracked Spinet
>To:                    pianotech@ptg.org
>Send reply to:         pianotech@ptg.org
>
>> In a message dated 01/06/2000 8:33:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>> jonpage@mediaone.net writes:
>>
>> << I would still call this as "moving damage" whether or not they can pi
>>  it on someone in particular it should not be the burden of the customer.
>>
>>  Jon Page
>>   >>

>> Sounds that way to me.  Could be deeper than can be seen from the
surface.
>> Have an independent rebuilder look at.  I had a similar one today.  A
spinet

>> which had been unprofessionally moved.  And got slammed around the truck
on
>> the way.  The crack runs vertically between the cabinet and the
>> plate/soundboard/action rail.  It is separated on that side and you can
move

>> it back and forth with your hand.  The other side feels tight but the
veneer

>> cover piece in the back has been shoved up and over the cabinet edge. The
>> action, strings, etc.are pretty new and it plays provided you re-set the
>> jacks by hand after each strike.  The customer is fairly disappointed as
one

>> would imagine.  He will now need to get it out of the upstairs bedroom
closet
>> he wrestled it into and pay a real mover to bring it to a re-builder.
>>
>> Mark Jacobucci
>> Laguna CA
>>

>David Ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA