Crack in Rim

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 22:49:33 -0500

Jim,
Ol' friend, it is the age old tale of the 'salezman'.

Case in point  (no pun intend :)  :

Sales AGENT (same guy) on scene for delivery.
The interior decorators, excuse me; the INTERIOR DECORATORS
placed the piano in a window with the full sun reflecting from the ocean
within 50 yards, sea level.

I got there to  "touch-up a few moving 'dings' & tune"    yeah, right.

Upon attempting to remove blemishes from the finish, it was apparent
that there was not sufficient material to execute these tasks. (no finish).

I quickly raised the pitch and advised the dealer to Cover Their Own A..

They_will_respect you for it.

Jon Page

At 09:23 PM 01/06/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>In a message dated 1/06/2000 6:33:35 PM, Don B wrote:
>
><<"very highly regarded american manufacturer that had a crack in the veneer
>on the straight side at a point nearly even with the soundboard level.  This
>crack
>runs nearly the entire length of the side." >>
>
><<"The customer called the salesman and discussed it with him and his
>expected response was that it was only veneer deep and could be repaired.">>
>
>Don;
> If this is the marque I have in mind it ain't a "veneer crack" and even if
>it were who would want to buy a 'new' piano with this type of pre-existing
>fault?
> The salesman is probably 'partially' right in that this "crack" can be
>repaired but it 'almost certainly' is more than skin deep and that takes us
>back to who would want a 'new' piano with this type of condition?
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net