PS: Re: Crack in Rim

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 22:08:02 -0500

My reasoning for passing it back to the dealer/man'f'r:

If I execute a repair, I am liable for subsequent failures.

On a new piano, I do want to absorb their liability.

This is MAJOR case structural damage, maybe not affecting
pitch retention since it seems to be above the 'plate line'.

I have repair many pianos which have been damaged along the spine
from impacts imparted along

Let the "dealer Reps" deal with it.

Unless you want to be called in as an expert witness on the
plaintiff's behalf.

I've bowed out on a few field repairs which amounted to CYA on the dealer's
behalf. That's their job, not mine.

Don't get caught in the middle,

Jon Page

PS  I could expound but I'm tired of typing right now.

At 05:59 PM 01/06/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>This afternoon I made a service call on a new piano from a very highly
>regarded american manufacturer that had a crack in the veneer on the
>straight side at a point nearly even with the soundboard level.  This crack
>runs nearly the entire length of the side.  This piano was purchased from a
>manufacturers store out of town and delivered to Atlanta in early Dec. The
>local dealer was not involved in the sale. This piano is situated out in the
>floor so the side is not hidden against the wall.  The customer called the
>salesman and discussed it with him and his expected response was that it was
>only veneer deep and could be repaired. He also commented that her
>technician (me) was unduly alarming her by saying it might be more than
>cosmetic.  While this may be possible, the fact that it's there raises
>questions. I have personally repaired 3 pianos of the same brand thru the
>years that were split all the way thru.
>
>My question is, if this is only cosmetic, will a little bondo or putty and a
>little paint be the end of their problem. OR if the crack was caused by
>internal stresses in the wood, is the crack just the outside manifistation
>of the problem. This manufacturer's warranty is only 5 years and I feel the
>customer should be assured this problem doesn't pop back up after the
>warranty period. There's also the issue of diminished value.  Have any of
>you had a similar problem, and how was it resolved? Any comments or
>suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Don Bennett

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.