Young Chang Syndrome

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 22:52:01 -0800

At 07:26 AM 01/06/2000 +0100, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Susan.. this is also typical of graphite use. Perhaps this explains why
>graphite does not always result in this problem. Graphite is a bit abrasive,
>and given enough time I can imagine weak plateing can be scored away resulting
>in a combination of scored and rough pins and the problems with graphite in
>general.

That does make sense! The bushings do look black. So, the problem is that
the graphite breaks down the plating, which turns to crumbles which
tangle in the bushing. They wouldn't have the problem if they didn't use
plated center pins, and they probably wouldn't have it if they used plated
pins, but not graphite.

>Btw.. you got any preferences for what center pins you like to use. I buy
>Yamahas and have had great results with them. I tried some offered by a Danish
>supply house some years ago that corroded and gummed up in a couple years.
>grin.. never again.

I just use the regular pins from Schaff or APSCO. The important thing, for me,
is that they aren't plated. I wonder what the Danish ones were made of! What a
mess that must have been!

Susan