Solution to clicking baldwin

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 17:06:23 EST

In a message dated 1/5/00 3:22:06 PM !!!First Boot!!!, RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
writes:

<< If a frontal assault with a check list doesn't tell you what the problem
 is, try a different direction. Can you make the click happen any other way?
 Hold down a key in the middle of the click range, bottom it out firmly, and
 whack it with a finger of your other hand to drive it down farther. Thump
 on the action brackets and support posts with fist, fingers, or whatever
 you can and see if you can isolate it. Repeatedly whack a key, producing
 the click, while you grab, push, wiggle, lever, and pull all the brackets,
 braces, bars, and mounting hardware you can. If you grab something and the
 noise stops, it's Miller time. The fact that the noise changed when you
 adjusted the post height should put you in the right area.

 Ron N

Ron et all.

I tried all of the above. It was very frustrating.

Bill Trefts (who does work in my store) and Claudia Burton (who works for me
in the store), both Associate members of the St. Louis Chapter, have found
the solution.
It was the corfam, but not on the catcher. It was the corfam under the butt
where the jack slips out. It has also gotten hard, and when the jack bounced
back after let off, it tapped the hard corfam.

Now that we have discovered the problem, the next step is the fix. Claudia
has ordered the Baldwin repair kit.  I have seen posts on the quick and easy
ways to make the repairs.

I was fortunate to have this piano in my store. I can imagine if this was a
customer's piano, I would never have been compensated for the time I spent.

I hope the solution to the problem was worth the time spent on the list.

Thanks to all who offered solutions to the problem.

Wim