Closet Pipe Benders Anonymous

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 10:02:15 -0600

>  I guess I don't know my own strength!

Hi David, welcome to the "Tool Abuse Hour".  8^)

>Here is a question for anyone to answer:
>What are the best heavy duty clamps that you use and like?  Names, Model
>Numbers, Prices and Where to Buy Info appreciated!

First, by way of qualification, I feel that most clamps designated "heavy
duty" are what I would consider general duty, and those designated "medium
duty", "light duty", and "home owner" or "hobby" are almost purely
decorative. I prefer using a heavier clamp than is strictly needed, at far
less clamping pressure than the clamp is capable of, rather than a barely
adequate clamp cranked to the edge of failure. Clamp choice scaled to the
demands of the job.

In spite of the occasional problems, pipe clamps are still a good option
for a lot of jobs. Jorgensen sells an I beam bar clamp that looks to me
like a good next step up (I haven't used them though). Woodworker's Supply
lists them from $27 for 2' to $38 for 6'.

F clamps are a good general use clamp, and indispensable for soundboard
installation. I really like the Bessey "Tradesman" series, and have a dozen
of their 2 1/2" depth x 18" long. When I was needing bigger F clamps, I
couldn't seem to locate any place that sold the Tradesman clamp in the size
I wanted, though  everyone on the planet carried "K" body clamps. I settled
on Woodworker's Supply's house brand with 4 3/4 depth x 24" at $12.45 ea. I
still like the Besseys better, but at half the price, these are decent
clamps. Home Depot now carries Bessey. It figures.

I use a couple of sizes and makes of the non-parallel jaw wooden screw
clamps. As long as the handles are well attached, and an actual hardwood
was used for the body, they seem to be pretty interchangeable.

>The meek shall inhibit the earth?  Nice typo!
>
>Sincerely,
>David Vanderhoofven

Nope, not a typo.
Regards,