Lid replacement

Gatesfam6@AOL.COM Gatesfam6@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 02:29:31 EST

Chris,
   As an institutional tuner/tech I have nearly 600 pianos under contact. Of
those 600 roughly 400 are Kawai's, about 50 grands of the KG-2 series, And
350 uprights with most of those being UST-7 models. For the most part I like
the Kawai Piano but as of late the company has been experiencing problems
with the folks that have been supplying their cases, which has caused them to
change their supplier once or twice over the last year and a half, or so I'
am told. I'm not sure what model your client has, but with the UST-7 during
assembly the underside of the lids were being finished resulting in a very
week adhesion between the lid and the piano back assembly. The end results
were obvious the lids were popping off right and left. I've had to reglue no
less than a dozen within the last 6 months alone. Kawai will advise you to
use the Epoxy which I'm sure will work fine, but the best stuff I've found is
heavy duty construction adhesive. Get a tube slap it in your caulking gun,
and your ready to apply. The larger bead of glue gives you better coverage,
and you have a few minutes before it sets up. The good news is that lid will
not be coming off again... the bad news, that lid will not be coming off
again. Kawai has also been experiencing problems with the installation, and
proper placement of the action stack  as well but that's a subject for
another time.

Happy adhering,
Paul Gates RPT