Tension Increase

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 21:08:27 EST

staytuned@idirect.com (John Lillico, RPT) writes:

<< If one raises pitch 1/2 tone to A440, how much tension is added to the
frame, either in percentage or pounds?

 I successfully carried this out yesterday on a Dominion (circa 1910) which
showed signs of structural weakness with the treble pin block having pulled
slightly forward.

 Just wondered how much extra stress I had caused. Tuning is scheduled in
four weeks. >>

Hey John, it's a real pleasure to see you writing on the List.  Remember me,
the guy who starts talking with a slight French accent whenever he is hanging
around with those *Parti Québecois* Members?  I really appreciate all the
work you have done in the past by serving as the Convention Director.  Too
bad you couldn't attend the classes or you might already have known the
answer to your question!

I have always heard that a 1/2 step pitch raise put 2 tons of tension overall
on the piano.  Ron N.'s example bears this out:

<<Here are some figures from the original scale of a grand I rescaled.
Total Tension:
@A=440=37555lb  at pitch
@A=428=35535lb  1/2 <> semitone down
@A=415=33409lb  1 semitone down
The figures on your piano would be different, of course, but this should
give you some place to start. >>

Regardless of how much it is though, it doesn't seem wise to try to raise the
pitch against a condition of structural failure.  I say this even though we
all may have done it against a cracked or checked bride cap, a severely
cracked soundboard or bass bridge apron.  But a separating backframe
structure is more serious than a soundboard or bridge problem.  Sometimes,
however, a slight failure in the pinblock/backpost/backframe structure is
little more than cosmetic.

>From what I read in this case, I would bet that when you go back, you will
find the treble section is now considerably flat.  If repair is not going to
be done, I would suggest that you reestablish the pitch from the average
pitch to which the treble has settled and lower the rest of the piano to it.
This will still take you at least 2 passes to get things straightened out and
as stable as it can be under the circumstances.

In the future, if the treble keeps going flatter and especially if the
separation worsens, tell the customer that repair is required.  Otherwise,
you may eventually break the plate because it may encounter stress in the
wrong direction.  If however, the separation is somewhat cosmetic and stable
as another person suggested, there would be no danger in tuning at A-440.
There still could be some stability problem.  A climate control system and
establishing a pitch at which both the piano and the customer are
*comfortable* would be in order.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin