clicking baldwin

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 17:41:20 -0500

Hi Wim,

Pesky little buggers, aren't they??

Most of the things I was thinking of have already been mentioned.  But I'll
pass along what comes to mind...

Loose hammer glue joint

Loose hammer shank glue joint at hammer butt

Loose catcher shank glue joint, either end (the little short shank that
comes out of the hammer butt at a 90 deg. angle to the hammer shank, sorry
if the name is wrong.)  This is actually pretty common.

Backcheck wire smiting bridle strap wire, or one of them smiting a
neighboring wire.

Loose backcheck or bridle wire in wippen hole?

Hardened bridle strap end (clicking against the wire)?

Loose jack button

Loose enough key bushings / poor enough key alignment to allow the keys to
smite one another on a hard blow.

The hammer shank hitting the hammer butt spring

Jack spring just barely catching in it's hole?

(Are you  _sure_ those screws are tight??)

Damper moving out far enough to actually hit some part of the plate?

Foreign object (glue maybe?) in the front key mortise

Front rail tapping against keybed

Loose damper head

Loose regulating rail

Foreign object sitting on top of wippens  (don't laugh, I've had this
one...)

Front of key hitting a neighbors front rail (paper or card) punchings

Sticker wire loose in wooden part of sticker?

Worn bushing at sticker / wippen junction

It's hard to speculate not being able to hear it in person.  Perhaps one of
the lists you've seen will give you the idea it takes to find that pesky
click.

Good luck, Wim,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA