clicking baldwin

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 21:58:00 +0100

I find clicks come from several different spots. Things to check....

rails...
 Jack stop rail..
 Placement of jack regulating button rail..
 Damperstop rail..

If these are just a bit to close to moveing parts coming at them, hard
blows will click. Often enough the screws holding the jack regulating
rail in place have come just a bit loose and the rail works its way to
close to the jacks. On a hard blow the jack can just reach it then and
you get a click.

Other things to check are the bridal strap pin, might be bent just a bit
to close to the neighboring backcheck wires... tho if its a whole section
my guess would be one of the rails.

On the side... on one occasion years ago.. and on a drop action
assembly.. I found clicking coming from damper lift spoons. The damper
system had been very very poorly set up, and the spoons would jimmey a
bit to the side on hard blows and clack into neighboring damper
assemblies... I found it because one of them was bad enough to finally
get hung up on the front edge of its neigboring damper.  grin.. a weird
one to be sure

Take a good look at the three rails mentioned above. In anycase I'd like
to hear what you find out as these little clicks are always annoying and
sometimes hard to find.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway