vagias keytops

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 03 Jan 2000 19:59:28 -0500

I put on a set of the 'ivory colored' plastic tops and found them to
be soft. Finger nails chip away at the surface to the point of all
the centers having a matte finish from wear and I expect over the years
to become dished.

Maybe they are using a denser plastic now, that was ten or more years ago.

Regards,

Jon Page

At 07:29 PM 1/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello, and Happy New Year Everyone!
>
>I am interested in knowing if anyone on the list has had any trouble with
>the vagias keytops, in particular, the set of ivory colored ones.  I have
>never liked the look of lily white (or even so-called 'off-white')
>plastic tops on turn of the century pianos, esp. uprights, and have
>wondered why the use of "ivory-like" plastic is not more in evidence.  I
>have a c.1900 Mason & Hamlin upright in my shop that needs tops, among
>other things, and I'm interested in any feedback re: the vagias products.
> The shop I have been using for key recovery is opposed to using them,
>because of problems they had 8-10 years back.  It seems the tops
>literally delaminated after 6 months or so, even when barely played.  I
>can only assume (hope) that this is no longer a problem, but would
>certainly prefer to know BEFOREhand, as opposed to 6 months from now!
>
>Any feedback appreciated....  What glues work best?  Idiosyncrasies?
>etc...
>
>Mark Potter
>bases-loaded@juno.com

Jon Page,   piano technician