Jan.04,1980

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 02 Jan 2000 10:38:52 -0600

>I think someone may have mentioned this already--if so, forgive me for
>cluttering up the list with it.
>Computers have replaceable BIOS chips which control the date problem
>mentioned below.  There are companies that sell new BIOS chips, which are
>rather easy to replace.  When I checked a couple of years ago, I think they
>were around $30, but they might be cheaper than that now.  Rather than
>junking an older computer, it might make financial sense to replace the
>BIOS.

>John Formsma
>Blue Mountain, MS

Good point John. Another option on some of the newer motherboards, whether
there is a Y2K problem or not, is to download a $0 flash ROM BIOS upgrade
from the motherboard manufacturer. I did this on my early PPro 200 a few
months ago, and it cleared up some plug & play detection problems I was
having. It also got me a much more comprehensive CMOS setup. Now if my
application software would just run in Linux, I could "fix" Windows too.
I've been looking for the "Minimum Time Between System Crashes"
configuration, but it's apparently an undocumented feature.

I've sure been enjoying the flu the past couple of days. Peaked at 104 last
night for about 6 hours and I started hallucinating that it was Jan 04,
1980. Pretty spooky.

Ron N