A Glut of Old Uprights

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:29:32 -0500

Here in my Northeast we see everything.  I've seen Briggs, and the
Williams uprights.  Pennsylvanians haved moved out everywhere, (Go West
young man) then come back, with pianos!!

You're right, these weather conditions tear them apart, but after I rep.
and strengthen the bridges with CA glue, I put them all up to pitch.
Rarely break strings, and take them all the way to A-440 first visit,
after CA'ing the bridges.  No problems.  Fine tune later.  Broken strings
are quickly fixed with either knots with new wire at the pin, or in the
treble de-crank the other end of the string and get enough wire to put
back onthe broken end.  Average string fix time 6 minutes in the treble,
maybe ten elsewhere.

But, my feet get tired working on these 'high boys'.  Still, many a kid
will get his start on these, and unlike me, I want them to hear the
'truth'.   A-440.

Roger Hayden, RPT
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.