A bit off topic

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:52:27 EST

On another list, there has been discussion as to whether the head on a drum
or banjo actually produces a musical pitch when hit or thumped.

When a head like this is tightened it obviously gets brighter in tone but my
contention is that the vibrations are too random and disorganized to actually
produce a definable pitch. I can't count the times however that I have heard
drummers or banjo players saying that they like to tune the head to A or Bb
or whatever.

Any opinions?

Dave Bunch