Refinishing with Water-Base

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:52:52 -0500

Terry -

I have refinished quite a few pianos (roughly 10) using Enduro's poly
with none of the problems that you seem to be experiencing.  I remember
you were having the orange peel problems when spraying unthinned, and  I
have not had orange peel problems (bad enough to worry about) spraying
straight from the can, so I do wonder a bit about your physical set-up.
Perhaps you are unable to properly atomize the finishes unless thinned to
a point where there is little build?

Also,  I rub out every finish to semi-gloss, in a very laborious, aerobic
manner, and have never once sanded or rubbed thru to expose "witness
lines", and I frequently start with a 400 grit paper to level.  I have
many times used wool-lube, a water-based rubbing medium, with no adverse
effects, but I have always waited 10 days or more to do so.  I have also
used parafin rubbing oils with no adverse effect, sometimes as quickly as
5 days after top coating.

I have been using water-based products exclusively for piano cases for
over 9 years now, and have never rubbed thru to create witness lines, and
I have used some real crummy finishes from Hydrocote in the "early days"
when they were changing their formulations every 2 weeks trying to come
up with something that might work, seeminly using us to tell them if it
was working or not!

I say all of this because I really can't believe that the finish itself
is the real root of all of your problems.  I do have to wonder about how
stout a top coat would be when thinned 20% with a spray additive, which
is what I believe you ended up doing at the suggestion of Mark Ellis?
How many coats thinned in this manner did you apply?  I would think it
would require 3-4 when apllied this thin, and the coats would have to be
the same day to ensure it ended up being "one film".  Also, it is
extremely important when using finishes that do not "burn in" to level
the finish COMPLETELY before applying the one or two topcoats that you
will rub out.

I wasn't aware that the Pianolac was a 100% burn-in finish.  That is
certainly one of the biggest advnatages to using nitrocellulose lacquer.
Shellac also provides this.  Early on Hydrocote had a product called
Equal that presumably did that, but as it turned out it was not very
durable (among other problems).  I recently tested a new product from
Target Coatings called Premium Spray Lacquer, that is water-based and is
100% burn-in.  I was very impressed with the way it handled, and I have
been abusing it with hot liquids and water and household chemicals for
over 3 weeks with no adverse effects.  It has a built-in crosslinker.  I
will probably use it for my next ebony job for the top coats.

These comments do not answer any of your questions, I know, but I just
think that it is possible that the problems are not with the finish
itself.  At least that has been my experience with Enduro.

Good luck, and let me know how you like Pianolac.  I'll have to give it a
try someday.  Ah, the quest for the "perfect" water-based finish goes on!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:40:28 -0500 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
> Dear List:
>
> Recently I posted on some of my problems and successes refinishing a
> piano
> with Enduro polyurethane. I have had recent problems while rubbing
> out the
> finish (like major!), and will in fact be re-topcoating the piano
> with
> Pianolac in the next week or so. The paragraphs below are pasted in
> here
> from other communications I have recently had in private posts. But
> because
> I expressed some strong positive comments about my experience with
> Enduro, I
> am posting this as suggested by Jeannie Grassi, RPT (Assistant
> Editor, Piano
> Technicians Journal) mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net  (I agree - good
> suggestion). Anyone else have input related to breaching layers of
> water-base paint during final flattening and rub-out?

---