flood damage

dempsey@MARSHALL.EDU dempsey@MARSHALL.EDU
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:36:28 -0500 (EST)

Wally and Kay,
Ouch!! It's always tragic when this happens. Do you know how long the
piano was actually in water? It's probably a moot point but somtimes if
the water receeds quickly the long run problems might be minimal compared
to if the thing " marinated" for hours.I had the same type situation sith
a church in St.Albans and few years back.

Bass strings are likely to be toast(soggy toast). Also, bridge glue
joints(both bass and that part of the treble bridge that was submerged.
Case? Veneer over who knows what (MDF?)

Even though the action and keys didn't actually get soaked, being in that
proximity to what surely was astronomical humidity will mean bushing
problems,etc.,etc. warping, you name it, not to mention the odors that
usually accompany the aftermath of such an event.

As to suggestions for the" water logged customer"....prepare them for the
worst. Dry it out slowly.
Probably not much help, I know.
Good luck

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT