key duplication - partial set

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:12:20 -0500

Mark,

I considered Robin's response to you and I have a different opinion, although
it is *only* an opinion; she may still be right.  You mentioned the keys were
mangled beyond description, apparently by some other technician attempting to
deal with the problem.  That may have been years ago.  If the condition
hasn't changed in years, I think it is not likely to change now.  If this is
true, having replacement keys made should be a long-term repair with good
results.

As to why this problem occurred, if they were all within one or 1 1/2
octaves, I would think they got sopping wet somewhere along the line.  That
still may be the case for the bass section.  Although I have very limited
experience with keys that got wet, I seem to remember that some will skew
more than others.  It would seem that other problems would surface if this
were the case, such as swollen or missing key bushings and rusty key pins.

Now getting to your question; I don't know.  :-(  I would guess some of the
major piano suppliers (Pianotek?  Schaff?) would do this for you if they can
get enough information from the original keys to make new ones.  They may
even want you to send them the whole keyframe with the bass section keys.  I
suspect it will be pricey; get an estimate so you and the owner can decide if
it is worth the cost, if this is a mostly wornout old upright.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger

P. S.  I seriously doubt you can blame rhinos!  <G>