7/8 keyboards

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:46:29 EST

Susan writes:
>It's not as if you were going to throw away the first keyboard and keyframe.
>I believe that they can be interchanged quite easily. Actually, the Yamaha
>grand at the Banff Centre with a Steinbuhler keyboard has a second
>action as well, so they can be traded in minutes.

Greetings,
   This is one of two important points about the SB keyboards.  The keys can
be gradually traded in as the child grows, finally ending up  original .  I
suggested this to David,  thinking that a new Walter upright would go out
with the SB conversion, and the original keys would be boxed and sent  along
with it, or held in storage at the factory.  After three or four years at
each intermediate size, trading the various fractions back in,  student would
finally graduate back to his own originals.  The trade-ins could easily be
used in other pianos, so the pricing should be able to reflect a lease of
sorts.
     I don't know  but there is another side to the coin, fired at me by a
professional teacher.  Many kids are involved in competitions, both as ego
boosting and as incentive to practise.  A smaller keyboard at home wouldn't
really prepare them for the instruments that they will have to use at
competitions, so that is a drawback.  At least, a drawback until competitions
have a smaller keyboard available.  Think about it,  a 6 year old child
playing Rachmaninoff!
    My temperament pianist in K.C.  took approx. 1/2 hour to stop hitting
9ths instead of octaves, but once she relaxed, it was very easy for her to
enjoy the ease of reaching.  For the serious home pianist with small hands,
this is something I have no trouble recommending.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT