Hart spring tool

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:14:31 -0800

List,
Today I did my first two piano recording studio gig. Quite an
experience. Working around sound techs, noisy fans and people moving
stuff around was quite a challenge. The pianos were a Yamaha GH2 and a
Yamaha C7. But I am digressing. What I really wanted to say was that I
went over the repetition springs on the C7, as I felt they were a little
uneven. In the process I found out that the Hart spring tool, while
wonderful for most pianos, did not position the spring back in the
groove correctly. I actually pulled off a whipen and experimented with
placement of the tool for optimum usage. Unfortunately, I could not get
a correct placement of the spring no matter how I tried. The spring slot
is really a little small, and the round tip of the tool, which double as
a spacer, simply could not place the spring in the middle of the slot.

I almost put the action back in the piano with many springs hung up on
the lip of the groove. Ooooo, what a bummer that would have been come
recording time Saturday AM. Good thing I practiced the Yamaha trick of
looking sideways through the whipens to check for mistakes like that.
Thanks LaRoy and Little Red Schoolhouse (Yamaha).

Anyone else finding a problem using the tool on Yamahas or other pianos?

Joseph Alkana  RPT