Speed, Accuracy & Efficiency=Profit

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:31:28 EST

Dear List,

This post is aimed mainly at the newer people in the field and those who say
that it takes longer than an hour to do a good tuning.  Today, I left at 8
a.m., drove 25 miles to a high school where there is going to be a Solo &
Ensemble contest.  I tuned and prepared 10 pianos, was paid when finished at
the "school" rate, which is slightly lower than the usual but still pretty
good, deposited my check and was home at 6 p.m.

There were 8 Yamaha P-22's, 1 older P-2 and 1 older Kawai Studio of very
similar design.  I used the same very fine program in my SAT II for each of
them. It is the Equal Beating Victorian Temperament (EBVT) with custom
tempered octaves that I made years ago in the symphony conductor's office.  I
use this program on all similar pianos in schools and homes but always tune
the wound strings aurally.  All ten pianos were tuned twice, using strip
mutes, one rough tuning and one fine tuning, except one which was a 25 cent
pitch raise requiring 3 passes.

I also did full 88 key capstan adjustments on 3 pianos, spaced several
hammers here and there and changed a set of humidifier pads. I also spliced
the highest monochord wound string which broke with the gentlest touch on one
piano (there is a certain vintage of these pianos that had a problem there
which has now been corrected but I am still finding some of them).  I took
short beaks when I needed them, answered the phone and ate lunch.

All 10 pianos were left exactly at Standard Pitch with excellent stability
and clean unisons throughout.  All played normally and responsively with no
lost motion and good, normal feeling aftertouch and repetition.  All were
suitable to be played by a professional musician.

Years ago, I used to be invited to share in the bounty of an event like this.
 Three or four technicians would go to a school and each tune 3 or 4 pianos.
I was initially asked to do nine, which I felt I could handle and accepted.
I was informed today that there would be a tenth.  I cheerfully accepted it.

Now, I don't think I could do this every day nor is there really that kind of
opportunity.  My right arm and back are a bit sore but no more than if I had
gone to the gym and really pushed hard.  It is a matter of technique, keeping
the concentration, and being in good enough physical condition to handle such
a long, constantly stressful job.

I never went to school to learn how to do this work, I learned just by trying
and sticking with it.  All of my important knowledge comes to me by
association with PTG.  I have learned from many different people and have
sometimes combined ideas from different people to create my own.  My only
link to this profession is the fact that I have also been a musician since
early childhood.

I do not consider myself extraordinary at all.  I think therefore that if I
can do it, so can you.

Keep at it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin