Dampp-chaser survey

Larry J. Messerly prescottpiano@juno.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:44:32 -0700

When the system is working properly and is maintained regularly it
junctions great!

I do have one Dude ranch for which I tune that I have to remind when I
schedule service, to make sure the unit is plugged in and that there is
water in the tank. (Many times I've been there and the cleaning crew has
unplugged the unit.  I now carry with me child resistant outlet covers,
available at baby stores[no not tiny stores], that cut down on this
problem.)

I have a grand I tune that is in a converted bedroom (french doors lead
into the living room), with wood panneled walls (not sheeting, REAL
wood), that is so stable that I usually touch up unisons, and touch up
regulation.

Unfortunately I so have some instalations where the people do not call me
until the piano sounds out of tune to them (usually 2 years too late).  I
find crusted pads with no humidifying capabilities.  This is why I am now
only installing the system with the smart bar.  I don't offer it the
other way.

On the whole, for normal instalations and people, it is a great system,
makes my job easier, and makes the tunings last longer.

I have had systems fail.  One due to operator error, filling the grand
tank too full caused the sensing system to fail, had to replace the lwwl.
 the other I just did recently was a 10 year old installation and the
metal holding the humidifier bar in place in the tank had corroded and
let go.

Someone asked me last month if I guarantee my tunings. I said yes, I
guarantee that as soon as I leave the piano will begin to go out of tune.
 After thinking about it I decided that I will really guarantee my
tunings IF: the piano is within 2 cents of A-440, it is over 5 years old,
out of drafts and sunlight, AND has a DampChaser system functioning.

Larry Messerly