Cleaning primary valves

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:22:07 -0600

> There is very little in the way of patch-up maintenance possible with the
> old players. They're all over 70 years old and all the perishable parts
> have long since perished, including the piano. "Just getting it working"
> isn't really worth the time and effort any more unless the customer is
> willing to spring for rebuilding the piano and the player. It's a deep
> black hole you're looking into.
>
> Ron N

This player has been very well preserved, as many of the Standards are.
The pouches look as good as I have ever seen, and better than anything I
have seen new.---(unless much better pouch material is avaliable these
days). The lead tubing is also good.  The valves (secondaries) are pristine.
The primaries are as good as new or better on the lower facing and the top
leather is good for another 10 to 20 years.    I couldn't guarantee any new
material to laster longer than what is in there.  Striker pneumatics
execpted.   I will not destroy good material just for the sake of a
"complete rebuild"  ---ric