Virus scare

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:16:45 -0600

    From: John Ross <piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Thursday, February 24, 2000 5:19 PM
    Subject: Re: Virus scare
    John M. Ross
        ----- Original Message -----=20
        From: Roy Ulrich=20
        To: Pianotech=20
        Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 6:23 PM
        Subject: Virus scare
       =20
        I had one last weekend, it ate my kernel32.dll file and 3 =
others. Norton AV said it was "Blanky", but does not list it in the =
current list of viruses. (I'm a little to blame as I bought Norton about =
4 or 5 years ago and have neved updated it, nor have I been diligent =
about leaving the "protection" on.
        =20
        While I don't wish to take up valuable band width unnecessarily, =
I feel it's appropriate to let the rest of you know about this - I =
generally get about 60-65 emails a day, mostly from this group. This =
past week it seems to be a lot less, and I really hope that no one else =
on this list fell victum. (One of the 1st things affected was mshttp =
file, and Internet access was cut off.)
        =20
        If this will help anyone, the computer God that I deal with had =
me re-load Windows 98 into a "WIN 95" directory which worked. I =
immediately went to the Norton AV site and updated the virus library, =
ran the scan on al files, and fixed the problem. (Another computer place =
in town was talking FDISK and, "bring all your original software with =
you, drivers, etc.)
        =20
        THIS puppy will be paying more attention to backup, updating =
Norton monthly, and will continue to be wary of the attachments I see =
occasionally herein as well as other fixed sites.
        =20
        Roy Ulrich