Virus scare

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:23:44 -0600

I had one last weekend, it ate my kernel32.dll file and 3 others. Norton =
AV said it was "Blanky", but does not list it in the current list of =
viruses. (I'm a little to blame as I bought Norton about 4 or 5 years =
ago and have neved updated it, nor have I been diligent about leaving =
the "protection" on.

While I don't wish to take up valuable band width unnecessarily, I feel =
it's appropriate to let the rest of you know about this - I generally =
get about 60-65 emails a day, mostly from this group. This past week it =
seems to be a lot less, and I really hope that no one else on this list =
fell victum. (One of the 1st things affected was mshttp file, and =
Internet access was cut off.)

If this will help anyone, the computer God that I deal with had me =
re-load Windows 98 into a "WIN 95" directory which worked. I immediately =
went to the Norton AV site and updated the virus library, ran the scan =
on al files, and fixed the problem. (Another computer place in town was =
talking FDISK and, "bring all your original software with you, drivers, =
etc.)

THIS puppy will be paying more attention to backup, updating Norton =
monthly, and will continue to be wary of the attachments I see =
occasionally herein as well as other fixed sites.

Roy Ulrich