Piano out of tune on recording

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:13:17 EST

In a message dated 2/23/00 9:01:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kswafford@earthlink.net writes:

<< You are right, of course. But there is no end to the recorded history of
 untuned pianos.

 I just typed out some examples I have heard of bad pianos on recordings,
 but I hit the delete button. The magic is in the musician, after all.  >>

I'm glad you didn't give us a list.  It would have become as bad of a spiral
as some of these "how bad was it" substandard rebuilding threads.  I do think
it is good however that we recognize that there is quite a bit of room for
improvement over what was done in the past.

After reading what some people have said and staunchly maintained, one might
come to the conclusion that the art of piano tuning was perfected in the
early 20th Century.  There is nothing more to learn, no need or reason to
improve anything.  Certainly, however, the art of tuning took a new direction
and beginning around 1980 with the PTG Standardized Tuning Exam and the
development of sophisticated Electronic Tuning Devices (ETD).

I never got a chance to tune for Bill Evans but I did meet him once when he
played at The Lighthouse, a Jazz club in Hermosa Beach (near Los Angeles),
California when I was about 21.  I had supper with him and his group that
night.  He had a very ordinary and casual personality even though he
obviously was a genius at the piano.

I only wish that I could have the opportunity to tune and prepare a piano for
him today if for no other reason than to demonstrate and disprove the notion
that his music "requires" Equal Temperament (ET) as some people on this List
insisted to me in the past.  I think the complex chords that he played
require precision in order to reveal the beauty of their texture, not the
neutralizing effect of ET.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin