Balance pin holes

Mark Dierauf mark@nhpianos.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:54:09 -0500

Roger wrote:
snip...
>#6   Routering off an 1/8" X  2" from the bottom of the key and =
inserting a
>maple shoe, you need to establish two centre line on the key stick =
before
>routering to define where you will drill the hole after glueing the =
shoe in
>place. After drilling the hole you need to counter sink the hole so =
that
>only about 1/16" comes in contact with the pin.
...snip

Is maple really the correct choice for this application? I was under the =
impression that hardwoods, (being denser) were more subject to shrinking =
and swelling, and I believe that most or all of the old key shoes or =
inserts I've seen were basswood or somesuch. I put a set of home made =
shoes on an S&S O almost 20 years ago, and although there's not much =
else I'm proud of about that job, the shoes are holding up fine and I've =
never had a problem with either binding or clicking.

- Mark