Cleaning primary valves

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 01:29:04 -0600

> Set the gap
> at about 0.030", and put a dab of hide glue or Titebond on top of the
> button around the stem. Repeat as necessary until all the problem valves
> are done. When the glue dries, reassemble and test.
>
> Is that better?
>
> Ron N

: )   Much better, and thanks for the gap, I forgot to ask that.   It seems
no more than .030".  Those suckers barely move.   I tested each one for
seating, and some of them for no apparent reason at all didn't seat so good.
I disassembled them in a manner you prescribed, I was able to push the the
stems down rather than tap them.  Then I had to twist and pull them off by
hand.  I suppose I could have driven them out.   Every thing looked clean
and when I placed just the top part on the seat they struck down good as
gold but when I put them back on the stem and tried them they "leaked"
again.  Suddenly they would pop down and be tight.  That was not good
enough, so back apart they came and once again, by themselves they stuck
down to the seat like glue when tested.  Reassembled though, they
leaked---even when pressed down with the thumb.  Yet when the top part was
pushed all the way down so there was no travel it held tight as a drum.
    Unless you know already, I will really be surprised if you can tell me
what is going on.   It is an unfair question.   It would help to have the
valve board on the bench to figure it out.  Now it seems like these
primaries shouldn't work at all.  Of course look at all the players
including Standard that did away with them.  Hold over from 64 note players
is my guess.    ---ric